As filming for Episode IX begins, we’re going to be exposed to many different leaks and rumors concerning the film. Whether it comes to plot details or character arcs, it’s always fun to follow along and see if the predictions actually come to pass. While some early rumors pan out, most don’t (we never did get that Knights of Ren fight on Ahch-To, did we?)
Either way, it’s fun to look back and see what elements did make it into the film, and which leaks turned out to be legitimate. To simplify things, we’ll be making a list of the spoilers, leaks, and rumors along with the dates that they came out, so we can easily look back in December 2019 and see who really did have credible sources at Pinewood and who’s just been drinking a little too much blue milk.
So let’s begin!
If you’re looking for only official news announcements from only official sources that aren’t too spoilery, make sure to click here!
- The user clearly has some details correct. I can verify that someone I spoke to also believes Jordan, for example, to have served as two separate planets. I can also verify that they believed Tatooine to be a set, and that it was a place we have seen before (not Hutts). I can verify that Mark has likely shot with Daisy, and that Kylo’s helmet use definitely at least decreases significantly in the second half of the film.
- Beyond raw info like that is where things start to get fuzzy, and sometimes even the raw info is I think, based on the sources I know, wrong too.
- For example: The user states that Keri Russell and Mark Hamill filmed scenes together. That I cannot confirm or deny–I simply don’t know. What I do know given the people I was under the impression Mark filmed with: I am not sure how there would be time. He has not filmed a lot to my knowledge. Mark roughly implied a week in one interview. One crewman in fact seemed certain that he had not filmed period as of January, just had been visiting set often as he is known to do. Conflicting evidence on this leads me to wonder whether Mark is simply providing a Force bond sort of presence on set but is meant to be voicing the role later, or filming his coverage in a different CG way to be done later in the production.
- The user also expresses a certain reveal is true, one that would involve heavy flashbacks. It is true that to my knowledge that Luke is involved in a lot of flashback/dream/vision sort of stuff (people have been unclear exactly how all of it will be used in the final product). A crew member also indeed seemed to think there might be a scene of Luke arriving on Ahch-To. But at least one crew guy heavily implied it would not be Mark during those scenes. The implication to me seemed that it was a younger actor playing a younger Luke–which would mean that it would not be Mark and Keri during those scenes at all. While a younger Luke might explain more the timeline of the rumor I have seen running around, it’s so far off the map of what the user claims to know that I have to assume he’s again either speculating wildly based off some facts he knows, or simply repeating word for word something he heard from a crew member, one who may be just speculating themselves or be pulling his leg.
- I’d advise people to recall two things: 1. How no one but above the line talent and high up essential crew are likely to truly understand the context of what they are seeing/have heard about, and 2: How even MSW who has been fairly reliable and pulls from many of the same people has often been wildly wrong because a good source couldn’t help but speculate wildly.
The following is news that I have accumulated from various sources around the pinewood set, this comes from crew members from the area
Domenic Monaghan’s rebel character is named Arvyl – his character initially did not make it past the second act but he has been confirmed to appear late in the film
there is a Duros character who has prominence within the resistance
Kelly Marie Tran isn’t so much in the action as much as the last Jedi. She is however involved in an action sequence alongside Finn at some point
Hux is not involved in the latter of the film. Not to say he dies early, but his power position is diminished and he is not a primary antagonist
Richard E Grant plays a tyrannical First Order general
the Knights of Ren are certainly in the film and their screen time is surprisingly lengthy – Matt Smith is said to have been on set dressed in dark robes and holding a lightsaber prop
Kylo has his helmet re forged but is more often helmetless in the latter half
Ben pilots the falcon
Keri Russell is involved with Luke’s storyline
LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
Luke is involved in a flashback scene with Han and Leia wherein Ben is dropped off for training to a young Luke – an 8 year old Ben was cast and he will have a talk with Luke about wanting to be a Jedi and a guardian of the good in the galaxy
Luke has shot scenes with both Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver
Rey visits Tattooine
EDIT: Poe also flies the falcon, alongside Naomi Ackie’s Vera Calrissian, I forgot about that tidbit. Have a great day/night
January 15 – John Boyega shared on his Instagram page a picture of bloody hands. He captioned the photo, “Great day working on set!! The whole team pushed themselves today to achieve something visually crazy! I’ve had many moments of shock on set but not like today and I can’t wait until you know why #FN2187” The mention of his old Stormtrooper designation has led to speculation that Finn will be involved in the beginning of the Stormtrooper uprising that was cut from The Last Jedi.
January 15 – Fantha Tracks has reported that shooting has moved to Cardington Sheds, which has been used as the exterior of Yavin IV base in A New Hope and Rogue One. Horses have also been seen on location there.
Considering Yavin IV is the home planet of Poe Dameron, it’s possible that the Resistance might have a base set up there after their headquarters on D’Qar was destroyed in The Last Jedi.
December 29 – A Reddit user with a friend at Pinewood says they possibly saw Caluan Ematt, played by Andrew Jack, at the Pinewood swamp sequence, dressed in a Resistance uniform
December 28 – Todd Fisher explains that unused footage of Carrie from the last two films will be woven into Episode IX in a way that seems extremely natural, saying, “This is unused, new content that could be woven into the storyline. That’s what’s going to give everybody such a great kick. It’s going to look like it was meant to be. Like it was shot yesterday.”
December 26 – Although not generally a credible source, The Sun announced that UK chef Jamie Oliver has secured a cameo as a Stormtrooper in Episode IX
December 22 – John Boyega confirms that Episode IX will take place one year after the events of The Last Jedi (although John later posted on Twitter that he doesn’t remember saying that in the interview)
December 20 – Prompted by a whirlwind of rumors, Natalie Portman says she has no knowledge of her reprising her role as Padme Amidala for Episode IX
December 20 – A Reddit user reported that filming will be happening in a large pool at the studio involving Resistance troops coming out of the water and preparing to ambush First Order forces, which were also being attacked by a “large bat like prosthetic creature.”
December 18 – It’s rumored something is going to be revealed before the end of the year – it seems too early for a trailer, but it seems something related to Episode IX will drop before the year’s out
December 18 – Making Star Wars reports that a swamp battle between the First Order and the Resistance is being filmed at Black Park. The Resistance fighters seem to be dressed in camo fatigues similar to Endor, but no main characters were seen on set.
December 15 – A Reddit user claimed to have light spoilers from marketing describing the outfits of different characters involved: Kylo has yellow eyes, Leia wears red, BB-8 has a green disguise, and the Knights of Ren are all women. There is no credible source to back any of this up, but it’s fun to read if you like to speculate which seems to be all that this is.
December 9 – John Boyega posts a small behind the scenes video of him filming on set on his Instagram
UPDATE: It looks like this video is not part of Episode IX, but an ad campaign he’s shooting for Cisco. Thanks to our commenter below for the heads up!
December 7 – Ed Sheeran is possibly making a cameo as a Stormtrooper in Episode IX
December 6 – Oscar Isaac’s brother continues to hint about his possible involvement with Episode IX
December 5 – Possible title and teaser coming before the end of the year (although personally I feel that this is just “hype” and they’ll wait until Star Wars Celebration for the official reveal)
December 5 – Kevin Smith visited the Episode IX set and said that he saw things from across all of the movies, that it was the biggest movie set he had ever seen, that he saw the best performance of someone’s career and that he cried…a lot.
December 3 – According to a Reddit user viewing the Pinewood Studio through a satellite noticed what appears to be a big jungle stage built in the paddock tank where they filmed part of Takodana for The Force Awakens. There is a lot of greenery and possibly a small lake. These details are absent in a satellite image taken weeks prior.
December 3 – Someone on Reddit said that they have information that the Knights of Ren are confirmed, but there’s no official source to back that up, but fits with what another poster described about a scene being filmed at Pinewood involving smoke, atmospheric effects, firearms, sword fighting, and masked figures.
December 3 – A Reddit user stated that Rey’s costume is described as less Jedi like and more neutral in color, more “tactical.” The three plot lines will center around Poe and Finn on a mission, Rey and Rose going on an “adventure” and the last thread would be from Kylo’s perspective trying to keep the First Order following his command
December 2 – A poster on Reddit said that during a marketing meeting, they discussed several things about Episode IX, mainly that BB-8 has a droid buddy, Rey and Kylo will have a big showdown at the end of the film, and that Kylo’s mask has been reforged with red filling in through the cracks. They also stated that Rey’s lightsaber will be remade, but it will not be shown on screen.
November 28 – Anthony Daniel posts on his Twitter about filming in Pinewood and Wadi Rum
November 21 – Jeremy Conrad wrote on his Twitter that there will be no Episode IX teasers until April, saying, “There are reasons why it’s too soon to show stuff.” April coincides with Star Wars Celebration, which many have speculated will be the time Lucasfilm announces both the title of Episode IX and reveals the first glimpses of footage.
November 18 – A promo video for a ride called “Rise of the Resistance” in Disney’s new Galaxy’s Edge park shows that the Resistance fleet after The Last Jedi will compromise of a new Mon Calamari cruiser, more Starfortresses, and two Nebulon C Frigates (at the very least). Matt Martin of the Lucasfilm Story Group has said that all events in the park’s story are canon, and take place after The Last Jedi.
November 17 – According to Reddit user Garniel, he was showed recorded phone clips of Rey and Chewie being tossed into the air after an explosion (with a green screen in the background) and Finn and another male (possibly Poe) in an almost identical shot, without a green screen. Rey appeared to be in a similar costume to the one she wore in The Force Awakens and also had shots of her doing solo running, jumping, and swinging, with a lit blue lightsaber. He took interesting photos of the clean up of the Jordan set as well, which finished wrapping a few days ago, according to his contact.
November 15 – Oscar Isaac’s brother Mike rumored to have a cameo appearance in Episode IX
November 9 – ViewerAnon, who has made accurate claims before, claims that the word “Annihilation” will be used in the Episode IX title, although it is seen by many as a joke and not a serious leak
November 8 – Photos from The Star Wars Show show that the kyber crystal in Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber broke in half during The Last Jedi, which could force Rey to construct a new lightsaber, or at the very least, find a new crystal
November 5 – Matt Smith supposedly playing a Young Palpatine in Episode IX according to an anonymous source
October 28 – John Boyega hints at possible wielding a lightsaber again according to his reply to a fan tweet that’s up for interpretation
October 24 – Leaked set photo from Episode IX is NOT a leak – revealed to actually be from behind the scenes of the Pirates of the Caribbean set
October 8 – Shots of a film set from Wadi Rum, Jordan, hints Rey’s possible return to Jakku
October 2 – New structure being built at Pinewood Studios that might be related to Episode IX
September 28 – A disgruntled Hux grows frustrated with Kylo Ren and feeds information to the Resistance to undermine him
September 24 – Supposed leaked storyboard design reveals that Rey meets her parents, or has a vision of them, on the new jungle planet
September 20 – Andy Serkis cancelled his appearance at Keystone Comic Con, which fueled speculation that it’s due to Episode IX filming. Many suspect that he’ll return as a flashback, although there are no solid details to confirm that, or if the cancellation is related to Star Wars at all.
September 11 – Giant rock structures are being transported to the Black Park filming location
September 9 – Possible leak from Reddit:
- So here’s the deal. My friend’s father is currently at Pinewood Studios working on, you guessed it, Episode IX, as a prop designer. Long story short my friends told me some stuff that his father told him about the film. If I were you, I would take these with half a grain of salt, because my friend jokes around quite a bit. But who knows?
- Firstly, IX will NOT be split into 2 parts. Apparently, the long filming schedule, which is being overly exaggerated by the press, is due to some actor’s busy schedules, and some more technically advanced scenes to film. Also the leaked date of filming wrapping includes their time shooting off studio apparently, on location.
- Some of the weaponry that has been designed for the film is very medieval, not Star Warsy at all. Supposedly this is due to the main storyline of the film, which is said to be very Seven Samurai-esque, having Poe and Finn travel to distant places, not that advanced, in the galaxy to recruit Resistance soldiers.
- On the other side of things, there has been some new weaponry, specifically multiple lightsabers that have popped up. This is going to be for the Knights of Ren, who are going to have a role in this film, serving as Kylo’s right-hand men, almost like the Black Order in IW. They have some lightsabers very reminiscent of the ones from Rebels, though these can very easily be for Rey or someone else.
- Finally, the rumors of having a Maz sail barge is true. They’ve designed some jewelry and drinkware that is going to be for it. Supposedly Lando is going to be introduced through this barge as well. No word on any Lando props though.
August 29 – Rumored casting call for a 27-35 year old actress described as “a younger Charlize Theron with street smarts and a sharp wit” and is open to any ethnicity to play supporting role in Episode IX
August 27 – Keri Russell is currently filming Episode IX in London and Greg Gunberg (AKA Snap Wexley of Black Squadron) mentioned at Fairfax Comic Con that he was heading to the UK to film things for Episode IX, (he has already hinted at his involvement when someone asked him about growing back his beard earlier this year) so this seems to put Keri Russell’s character most likely in the Resistance camp if they’re filming scenes together.
August 24 – 4LOM-LucasfilmSpy reports that the August 23rd photos are when Finn and Poe reunite with Chewbacca, who has been working with a paramilitary group led by Naomi Ackie’s character to build a resistance force. At their home base, she gives them information about how strong the First Order has become and how much control they have. The group then leaves to pick up Rose, who has made contact with Maz Kanata and Lando. They are held up in a pirates den that looks like something out of PotC but they all agreed that they don’t have the strength to take on the First Order alone. Finn, Poe, and Rose go off to try to enlist the help of the Hutt Cartel, and by the end of the first act, the Resistance has a “rag tag” army of droids, aliens, outcasts and criminals focused on wiping out the First Order (and Supreme Leader Ren!)
August 8 – Mark Hamill teases possibly returning to filming on Instagram